SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTER
In a stark warning to those who believe that Brexit was secured by the recent referendum result, constitutional experts have revealed there is a way to ignore the will of the voters.
The view that it is still possible to block a Brexit through legal machinations hangs on the fact that the first step required to leave the European Union (EU) requires Members of Parliament (MPs) to pass an Act of Parliament.
SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTER
According to a lengthy legal opinion written by members of the UK Constitutional Law Association, the Article 50 declaration required by the Lisbon Treaty to kick off the Brexit process can be stopped by pro-Remain MPs simply voting down the Act.
Nick Barber, an associate professor of Constitutional Law at the University of Oxford, told The Independent that whether or not they use their legal power to block a Brexit is a question of MPs’ political courage. He explained:
“It is a course of action that is open to them. As a matter of law, the referendum is not legally binding. Unless I have missed it, there is nothing in the European Union Referendum Act 2015 that says it is.”
According to one of the other authors, if a Prime Minister attempted to invoke Article 50 without a valid Act of Parliament in support, he would risk being overruled by the courts. Dr Jeff King, a senior law lecturer at University College London said:
“It is possible a member of the public would qualify to seek a judicial review, and parliamentarians certainly would. It is unequivocally their interest at stake if their claim is that they have the constitutional right to ask the executive to issue or not issue the [Article 50] notification.
“The likely success [of the review] in court is a different issue.”
A Prime Minister using the Royal Prerogative to invoke Article 50 unilaterally is also problematic because it cannot be employed when doing so runs counter to existing Acts of Parliament – in this case the 1972 European Communities Act and the European Parliamentary Elections Act 2002.
Ultimately Professor Barber concedes that finding MPs willing to exercise their constitutional rights to block Brexit is rather trickier in practice than in theory. He concluded:
“They would have to justify themselves to the electorate, and might pay the price at the next General Election. It would be a very brave Parliament indeed that didn’t uphold the referendum.”
Follow Sarkis Zeronian on Twitter: Follow @SarkisZ or e-mail to: email@example.com
Read More Stories About:
Comment count on this article reflects comments made on Breitbart.com and Facebook. Visit Breitbart's Facebook Page.
Sign Up For Our Newsletter
- Obama Administration Wants to Keep Clinton Foundation Emails Hidden Until Late 20180 comments – 11 hours ago
- Rasmussen Poll: Trump 43%, Clinton 39%0 comments – 24 hours ago
- How The Donald Got His Groove Back: Trump Spikes in Polls as World Elites Panic Amid Hillary Clinton Struggles0 comments – 16 hours ago
- EXCLUSIVE: Conservatives Fight to Un-Seat Colorado’s #NeverTrump Delegates0 comments – 14 hours ago
- Donald Trump: Bill Clinton-Loretta Lynch Secret Meeting Shows ‘Rigged System’0 comments – 14 hours ago
- Pentagon Ends Ban on Transgender Soldiers0 comments – 18 hours ago
- Mitt Romney: My Family Still Wants Me to Run0 comments – 19 hours ago
- Hillary Clinton: Trump Supporters Energized By Xenophobia, Misogyny, Homophobia, and Islamophobia0 comments – 1 day ago
- Paul Ryan Blinks: Will Allow Vote on Gun Control Next Week0 comments – 19 hours ago
- Carl Bernstein: Lynch Needs To Recuse Herself From Clinton Investigation, Over ‘Wrong’ and ‘Improper’ Meeting With Bill0 comments – 11 hours ago
FROM THE HOMEPAGE
- Showdown in Colorado: Donald Trump Faces #NeverTrump Rebels in Battle for Party Control … Convention Rules Shut Down Rebels
- Donald Trump Is Living Rent-Free In Obama’s Head
- Barack Obama ‘Very Proud’ of His Record-Breaking Obstructionism of Transparency Laws
- Trump ‘Flabbergasted’ By Bill Clinton-Loretta Lynch Meeting
- Report: More than 925,000 Illegals With Final Deportation Orders Remain in the U.S.
- Austria Presidential Election Annulled After ‘Serious’ Postal Vote Fraud
- Town Bans Sharia-Approved “Burkini” From Pools
- Video Spoof’s ‘Pocahontas’ Warren With Ancestry.com Ad
- Pink Pistols: ‘We Teach Queers to Shoot and We Teach the World We Did It’
- Breitbart London Straw Poll: Andrea Leadsom Gets Whopping 50% Support – Vote Now
- Spike In European Tourists Planning UK Visit After Brexit
- Viktor Orban Calls On Brussels To Implement Border Controls, Says Mass Migration Forced Britain Out
- Donald Trump: Bill Clinton-Loretta Lynch Secret Meeting Shows ‘Rigged System’
- Former Attorney General Michael Mukasey: Lynch Should Recuse Herself From Hillary Email Investigation
- Carl Bernstein: Lynch Needs To Recuse Herself From Clinton Investigation, Over ‘Wrong’ and ‘Improper’ Meeting With Bill
- WATCH: Rapper Turns ‘F*ck Donald Trump’ Song Into Political Attack Ad
- Slayer Frontman Tom Araya: ‘People F*cking Die’ When Guns Are Taken Away